Chicken, Dhal and Coconut Soup
Jul 12, 2020
This soup is a mixture between dhal and chicken & corn soup with an exotic twist. It is simply fresh, delicious and very nutritious!
Legumes are a wonderful source of fibre and high in protein and coconut cream is rich in dietary fats. This will keep you full and satisfied between your meals.
This recipe is perfect for food prep or to serve your entire family! You will need a big pot or wok to make this recipe. I personally make this as a food prep option for me and my partner to have as lunch throughout the week. It would be kept refrigerated for 3 days. However if its just for you soup is a great frozen meal, just remember to leave a little extra room at the top as it will expand when frozen.
I hope you enjoy this as much as I do!
- 1.5 cup split moong dhal or red lentils (double this for vegan option and skip the chicken)
- 600g chicken thigh, sliced (optional if you want vegan option)
- 2 cups of frozen corn, thawed
- 6 spring onions, chopped
- 1.5 Tbsp grated ginger
- 12 kaffir lime leafs, torn (these really make the flavour)
- 1.5 Tbsp fine chopped lemongrass (I usually buy the paste)
- 2L chicken stock (vegetable to make vegan option)
- 1.5 Tbsp coconut oil
- 150g baby spinach leaves, chopped
- 3 Tbsp lime juice (fresh is always best)
- 1 cup coconut cream
- handful coriander, chopped
- zest off 1 lime
- Place all ingredients from the first section in a large pot, saucepan or wok (dhal or lentils, chicken, corn, onion, ginger, kaffir lime leaves, lemongrass, stock and coconut oil) and bring to a boil over a high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 30min or until dhal is soft and creamy
- Remove from heat and stir in spinach and lime juice, set aside for 5 mins
- Serve into bowls or food prep containers. Top with coconut cream, chopped coriander and lime zest